Thursday, August 24, 2006

I Want My Radio


August 23, 2005 – Manila – Sometime around this year, immediately after the completion of our History Channel project, I’ve been toying with the idea of internet based radio.

Owing there was a little extra fund on the way, I’ve decided it was time to put an investment on radio and broadcasting through the internet.

Somewhere along the way, the money was borrowed and was never paid back by a relative of ours who some five years ago squandered the retirement savings of my mother and father.

Yes we never learned but I can’t turn down my old mother. We may shout at each other and disagree on a lot of things but a mother crying, I’d be a stone if I don’t give in to her request for me to assist her greedy sister.

The launch of our small radio broadcast was delayed and we had to develop ideas and come December, I was about to tie up with a supposed long lost friend now In Canada.

We had to wait because a terrestrial radio station was about to launch and would carry us, our little broadcast on commercial radio even if the transmitter is whisper like in power to transmit.

By May of this year, after more than eight grueling months of waiting, we launched and in a matter of 2 weeks, the broadcast was a hit in the city where we were airing on a terrestrial radio station and our hits on our host website reached 120,000.

Now, a Pinoy or Filipino always have ideas and he is always the best, in a joint project its not unusual you would say after weeks of a slow and difficult start, when Pinoys see potentials, they would grab it at the expense of others.

I stood by my friend and though we were limited in resources we attempted to re-establish ourselves separate from people who are greedy! Yes Virginia, greed is always there.

My part, I had a difficulty putting it together single handedly and since finances are frozen to pay for services from even among my friends here, we were having a slow phase of re-establishing ourselves on the net.

By the way, because of greed we were unceremoniously turned off by our website host because of differences and views on doing business and me and a fellow broadcast friend had no other option but to go, independent.

We had to set up our own website, pay for our domain after we got dislocated and in the process, it meant close to moving heaven and earth on my part due to some problems.

I even asked a friend to pay on line our new domain name using his card on a pledge I will pay the costs in three months time, when we re-acquire those ad sponsors who wanted to join us but I later found out that he was not able to pay at once because he didn’t know how to pay on-line.

Just before that, I just felt so disappointed because I got an e-mail from my supposed business partner and telling me things I didn’t know, things that we didn’t need at that point.

I simply hate complications and I simply don’t like getting surprises and so I’ve decided to quietly end our partnership and I prefer not to consider him a friend no more.

Today, marks a little celebration because I begin my own broadcast here through podcasting and later in the day, I will post my first audio material here. I’ve done audiocasting on my home site, FYItv with my friends Nona Cueva, Mike Cohen and Henry Ballesteros but I never gave up on my little dream to have my own radio broadcast and so it begins anew … today!

* * *

No comments: